Monday, October 15, 2007

Day 83 - Monday 10/15 - Boy do we have great news!!

Let me build up . . . . Kathryn is up to 2 lbs, 14 ozs - I can promise you we WILL have pound cake this week!! Her ventilator settings are pretty mild in comparison to previous days and she is still at 12.5 ccs per feed.

First big news - Greg changed his first diaper this weekend. Here is the picture!

Now for the really big one . . . . . .


We got to hold Kathryn for the first time today - 83 days and the first time to hold our daughter!! It was absolutely surreal. I can't even begin to describe the feeling of completeness I had - after 83 days, I was back together with my little munchkin!! The nurses were fairly surprised that I let go of her because they say that moms usually don't volunteer to let go, but I did so that Greg could have his first hold too!! We both held her like it was the most natural feeling even amidst all the wires and tubes. It took the nurses and the respiratory therapist about 15 minutes to get everything ready for us to hold and then it was like a quiet fell over the NICU. That's the first time that I didn't here the beeps and buzzers (and I am certain that they were going off). At one point I looked up and saw at least 10 or 15 nurses around us just watching, so amazed at how well she did. By the way she was satting at 100 % on 40 % oxygen, which is great!!

Anyway, here are some pictures!

Me and Kathryn!
Greg and Kathryn!
Me holding Kathryn with Greg!
Greg holding Kathryn with me!
Wow, what a fun day!! We get to see Reed tomorrow!! (I have video too and am trying to figure out how to put them on the web!!)
Please pray for Kathryn!!
Kelly

5 comments:

Amy Morgan said...

What wonderful news! I so remember the first time I held Katelyn and Dylan in the NICU. It reminds you that they really are yours and one day you'll be home rocking them just like this. Great things are happening for Kathryn!!! I'm so happy for you!

Kate said...

Okay, I am crying right now!! What an incredible feeling. I am so happy for you!

Mommy and Daddy said...

congratulations to your family!! we are so thrilled with your great news!! love, the dillards

Andrew and Lauren Hess said...

I have been praying this day would come for you! What wonderful, wonderful news. You must have been so overcome with all kinds of emotions. The nurses always told us that the babies do better when the moms and dads get to hold them and it seems like Kathryn did great! I am so happy for you guys!

Aunt Donna said...

Way to go, sweetie - soon you'll have Mom and Dad eating out of your hand. Guess we showed that LSU team a thing or two! Happy Tuesday to Madelyn! Love, Aunt Donna and Granny